My Biodata

Siew Wei's Biodata (GM05156)




WHO AM I ?




Someone who’s a Squash freak
Yes I love to play squash and I use to challenge others =)

Someone who loves nutrition & always believe it can leave a positive impact to the society
I dream to be a “food doctor” (although I’m only a nutritionist), to help people live a healthy lifestyle.

Someone who likes exam but also don’t believe in exam
I do like exam because it induces me to read the book and I get to learn something new!
But I don’t believe getting good marks in exam will guarantee success in your career!

Someone who enjoys & appreciates new experiences
I appreciate what I’ve learned in the class, and the friends I know throughout the whole course.

In short, Siew Wei always has this slogan in life: "Whenever Siew Wei wants to do something, she will surely make it"



Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Lecture #2 (Part 2) - Google and Apple Know Where You Are, Maybe


 

Question 1:
Location-based tracking is common to all smartphones, for good reason or bad. The popular location-based service company Foursquare has an app so you can check in at various locations to receive discounts, become Mayor, and see who else might be there. DealLeak, which aggregates deals from the likes of Groupon and Living Social, needs your location in order to offer local discounts on products and services to you. How many location-based services do you have on your smartphone? How often do you use them and why?

 
There are many different applications that use location-based tracking. However, I only use two on my Android. The two that I use is GPS Navigator and Point. I only use GPS Navigator when I need directions to a particular place or need traffic updates when I am out of town. I use Point to find local restaurants, shops, movies, and businesses when I travel out of town. I do not use them very often. However, after using those applications, I un-install any updates for those apps and clear all cache on my phone. This will delete any saved information that was logged.



Question 2:
Apple and Google defended their processes by stating that their privacy policies very clearly stated what information would be gathered, how that information would be gathered, how that information would be used, and how and with whom that information might be shared. When was the last time you read the privacy policy of any technology tool, such as a Web browser or app? Do you think very many people actually read these? Do the disclaimers in these privacy policies give the offering organization the right to do anything with your information?


Privacy policy is “a statement or legal document that discloses some or all the ways a party gathers, uses, discloses, and manages a customer or client’s data” (“Privacy Policy,” n.d.).  In other words, it states how an individual’s information will be used. The privacy policy is there for individuals to open and read so that they can be aware of how an app, browser, or site will use their personal information. There are many people that bypass this document and continue by their normal day to day routine. Even though I hate to admit it, I am one of them. I have not read a privacy policy in quite a while. I do not believe many people read those policies due to the length of the document. And as long as they are able to continue to work or search the site, many feel like it is not needed. However, individuals need to start reading those disclaimers. Because those disclaimers in the privacy policies are in place to give specifics to what can be exercised and/or enforced by parties under the contract.


Question 3:
What about location-based tracking in car systems like GM's OnStar? Those system know the car's location to give you driving directions and perhaps identify local restaurants or other venues. Are you comfortable with this? When was the last time you bought a paper map? /how much do you rely on your car's GPS system?

         Another type of location-based tracking system can now be found in automobiles. Many are familiar with On-Star. With On-Star, a GPS (Global Positioning System) in installed in a vehicle and can track the movements of that particular vehicle in case of theft, to check a package in transit, or to check on a child that is out with friends in the family car. I think that vehicles with this system installed are a benefit to all in case of emergencies. I, on the other hand, do not have GPS in my vehicle. I use my GPS on my smartphone. I have not purchased a paper map due to the GPS on my phone.

Question 4:
What about smartphone tracking for parents who want to know where their children are and where they've been? Minors under the age of 18 have very few privacy rights, especially when it comes to parents' knowledge of where they are. Are parents going too far in wanting to know where their children are? What are the benefits of such systems for parents? For the children? What does the term "helicopter parent" refer to?

An increasing number of apps for mobile devices are utilizing GPS technology to help parents keep tabs on their kids. But there’s still the question of compliance from the kids. While the tracking apps can be effective with preteens getting their first smart phone, persuading rebellious teenagers to allow themselves to be tracked is challenging. I believe that it is a good idea to track a teen if it is believed that they are not following their parents’ rules and/or instructions. However, being from an age that did not grow up with a smart phone, teenagers have to earn trust and parents have to trust their children to make good decisions. As teens earn their trust, the less a parent should feel the need to track them. That is not giving the teen any freedom or letting that teen earn their trust.

There are some benefits from having the tracking system. Parents that work a great deal can monitor their teen’s whereabouts to make sure that they are where they are supposed to be. Also, if the teen does not come home at the correct time specified, the parent can check to see the location of the teen based on their smart phone. There is an advantage for teen’s having the tracking system. If the teen gets into trouble, they can have their parents track their location to come and get them.

Some parents go too far as to tracking their teen every moment. Those types of parents are known as “helicopter parents.” The name derived because they hover over their children like helicopters. These types of parents monitor their teens every move, experience, or action. They give their teens no room to be themselves and let them make decisions on their own, regardless of good or bad.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment